GST/HST Rebates and Bankruptcy in Ontario

| Category: Bankruptcy in Ontario | Bankruptcy FAQ
Category: Bankruptcy in Ontario | Bankruptcy FAQ

Question: If I go bankrupt in Ontario, who gets the HST rebate cheque?  Me, or the trustee?

GST / HST rebate bankruptcyHST rebates are automatically forwarded to the trustee.

The standard answer is that the HST rebate cheque goes to the trustee.  It forms part of the proceeds in your estate, and is then distributed to your creditors at the end of your bankruptcy.  Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) is notified of every bankruptcy in Ontario, and they automatically re-route all HST cheques and tax refunds to the trustee.

There are some exceptions to this rule in certain cases, so you should contact a trustee for further information..